Monday, July 21, 2014

"Begin Again" delivers a satisfying beginning, middle, and end

I finally got to watch this with my parents yesterday afternoon!

I came into the theater thinking it would be a sufficient romance movie that included music here and there - and that was enough for me, being a romantic movie enthusiast and music lover - but any expectations I may have had were definitely met and surpassed. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I actually enjoyed this.

Dan (Mark Ruffalo, whom I have yet to be disappointed by in a movie), a dispirited music industry executive, hasn't signed an artist to his independent record label in seven years. Dealing with a handful personal issues, he finds himself greeted with another problem: he's jobless after being fired by his own partner in front of his distant daughter, Violet (Hailee Steinfeld). After spending a day drinking his troubles away, Dan finds himself in a bar, where he is captivated by the raw talent of Gretta (Keira Knightley), a songwriter performing her song about being "alone in the city."

Gretta and her longtime boyfriend and music partner David (Adam Levine) had traveled to New York when a major record label offered him a deal. His newfound fame and obsession for making it in the music business took a toll on the songwriting lovebirds' relationship and a betrayed Gretta found herself alone.

Back in the bar, Dan is inspired by Gretta's music to create and foster, a feeling he hasn't had in years. While accepting and overcoming obstacles with love, relationships, and family, the two collaborate on a beautiful project - an album recorded outside throughout New York City, with a complete band. In a way, they find themselves again. I'm also particularly happy with Gretta's ending, although I won't spoil it here.

Overall, the characters were complex and well-developed, which always makes for a good film. Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightley, and Haileen Steinfeld all had me. I truly felt for them and I enjoyed observing the dynamic between the characters.

As for Adam, I'm always a little skeptical when a musician or other famous celebrity with no acting experience is in a movie because their performance can either be really exceptional or hard to watch. But he did a fair job, despite the fact that I was laughing obnoxiously at a change in his appearance for a good ten minutes. As one would expect, his singing was superb - so stick to Maroon 5, honey.

Begin Again was a heartwarming story of how music can come to someone's rescue. After all, the film was previously titled Can a Song Save Your Life? And you know what? I believe the answer is yes. I can't be the only person who was pushed to move forward thanks to a special song or two.

And even if music isn't your biggest passion, I'm sure you have some thing that works for you. Whether it's making music, writing, painting, playing a sport, taking pictures, reading, dancing, or whatever, I think it's magical when you're so inspired that you're able to use that outlet to pull yourself out of a dark place, rebuild the relationships that are worth saving and cut off the ones that aren't, and do what you can to make life your life.

Begin Again reminded me of Stuck in Love - an indie film from 2012 that I recently watched (thank you, Netflix) and fell in deep, deep love with. Making music is to Begin Again as writing is to Stuck in Love. Maybe it's special to me because writing is my preferred outlet, but there are so many lessons to be learned in that movie too. Everyone go watch it now.

I definitely recommend Begin Again. Heck, I'm planning on watching it again this week with my cousins - all of whom are in love with singing, playing instruments, and making music. That's how our family raised us.

If my review-type post wasn't enough to motivate you, here's the official trailer.

Justine's rating: 4.25/5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment