Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thriftin' Thursday: discounts on discounts

After dropping my brother off at school for his freshman orientation (*cries remembering that my baby brother is not a baby anymore*), I went to various stores to buy items I need (or know I'll need) for school and my apartment.

Once my two hours of running errands were over, I made sure to go to my favorite thrift store ever because they were having a summer sale for club card members! I almost never shop during the school year (pretty much once or twice, maybe three times) because I'm just so busy and preoccupied with other things. And because hello, I'm a college student doing work that doesn't pay money (but in teaching important lessons and strengthening skills!) with a decent amount of clothing thanks to my shopping secrets.

Whenever I'm home I make it a point to go to Savers a few times a month because I usually find at least three things I want to buy at such awesome prices, from shoes to clothing to books. Goodwill is a pretty nice place to shop at as well, but I personally find more for less at Savers. I'm not really big on Crossroads, Plato's Closet, or Buffalo Exchange either - not that they're bad stores or that I'm insulting people that frequent those stores, but hey, different shoppers have different needs, right?

Savers satisfies mine.

I'm a huge penny saver 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time, I will give in and indulge on something more pricy on the Justine scale of 'a deal' to 'super expensive, don't buy this.' My mom likes to joke that I'm cheap, but I was raised to be appreciative of what I have, I grew up learning how to be resourceful and smart when it comes to money, and once I started shopping on my own in high school I mastered the art of sales-shopping (as well as clearance shopping, thrift shopping, discount store shopping, etc.)
Today's finds - all for $13!
Today's shopping experience was great because there weren't as many people as usual at the time I came and I bought four things for only $13! The sundress and Forever 21 top (red because I need more solid red in my wardrobe) were only $3.50 and $2.50 respectively because of the summer sale. I love wearing dresses and loose shirts, especially when in SoCal. Dresses are so effortless and comfortable to wear.
I've been meaning to buy more activewear and the Addidas shorts will come in handy when I start dancing Tinikling again in a few weeks. Last but not least, my favorite purchase of today - a new brown over-the-shoulder bag, which cost $7 (and with no scratches or marks)! I can finally replace the one I've used for the last six years, a bag I bought for $5 at a church rummage sale. I'm loving the new bag, and it's a bit bigger than the one I've been using too.

South Bay shoppers, I definitely recommend thrifting at Savers and signing up for a club card because you'll get discounts on discounts! Also, take note: I only frequent the Milpitas location, not the ones in San Jose so I can't speak for other locations. 

Thank you Savers Milpitas for another successful trip. Here's to the thrifters and sale shoppers. Retail therapy doesn't need to be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment