Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Back at the Beach: ready for round three

After three months in the Bay Area, I am back in Long Beach. 

Preparing to go back to school and move back into my apartment over the weekend are the main reasons I have been unable to update my blog. I was also busy these last two days, but I finally have some time today. *Cheers.*

As always, it's a bittersweet feeling to be away from home with the knowledge that I mostly likely won't return until Thanksgiving. Maybe it gets a little less difficult as the years go by and I grow older, but it's always hard right before school starts.

How can it not be, when my identity is so closely tied to my family - all of whom are in Northern California except for a few relatives in Long Beach and my family in the Philippines? Much of my free time this summer was spent going out and about with my parents, relaxing with my brother, taking my grandmother to the bank and grocery shopping together, and constantly being with my cousins, whether it was at a family party, a concert, at the mall, or simply at someone's house.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area and this place will always be home to me. And although I am saddened every time I leave, I have enjoyed making another home in Southern California. I've grown in many ways since moving out and I am eager to continue this self-development alongside my friends and colleagues who are simultaneously traveling their own paths to their life goals. One of my favorite parts about growing up is seeing the inspiring endeavors they are taking as I take my own. Passion fuels passion.

This will undoubtedly be another great year of growing as a student journalist and aspiring media professional as well as a student learning about the world of mass media, communications, public relations, and marketing. I am excited for another semester as an assistant editor on the Daily 49er staff and a new venture as one of PCN Board 2014-15's two marketing chairs. I'm also crossing my fingers because I've applied to various internships and am waiting to hear back for final decisions.

Opportunities for learning are always available and I try my best to take on all that I can handle - while I believe in working hard and am adept at multitasking, it's important to know your limits.

In addition to all my school and career related undertakings, I am also excited to continuously explore Southern California. If I'm being honest, I haven't crossed off many notes on my bucket list. I'm looking forward to doing more this year.

On Monday, I reunited with my dear friend Chantal, who took me to Banzai Bowls in Huntington Beach. I ordered a regular Maui Sunrise, which was topped with strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. I love yogurt and fruits so it's not a surprise that I thought this treat was delicious.


Maui Sunrise at Banzai Bowls (Huntington Beach, Calif.)


The one thing I have to say is that the sizes are quite large, in my opinion, and I thought my regular sized order was enough for two people. So if you're not that hungry (and I was!), consider sharing.

It was a great start to my third year in SoCal.

Here's to more adventures, here's to learning and growing, and here's to life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment