Saturday, January 3, 2015

"Smile, my boy. It's sunrise."

These were Robin William's last lines (as Teddy Roosevelt) in his last film and I almost cried.

Earlier tonight (well, yesterday now that it's passed midnight) I watched Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb with my parents and my brother.
NATM movie poster
 
We watched the last two Night at the Museum movies together so I think of it as a mini tradition! I've always really enjoyed watching these films and I partially attribute that to my love of history and/or historical references.

In the third installment of this movie series, museum nightlife director Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) travels to England with beloved friends (Robin Williams' Teddy Roosevelt and Owen Wilson's Jedediah) in a quest to solve the secret of the tomb (no way!) and save the magic that brings the museum dwellers to life in the evening. While attempting to stop them from remaining as wax figures for eternity, Larry also has to deal with his son's plans for the future.

 The gang also meets new friends at the British museum, including Dan Stevens' Sir Lancelot and the hilarious Rebel Wilson's Tilly, among others. These additional characters were great; the only one slightly overdone was Laaa, a caveman also portrayed by Stiller.

Overall, it was a fun, family-friendly movie, as all the Night at the Museum movies are. It spotlighted the theme of learning to let go and move on and also highlighted how museums can teach and inspire, which I loved.

I couldn't stop thinking about how much I miss Robin Williams and the fact that "For Robin Williams: Magic Never Ends" played before the credits made me very emotional as well. Such a great last film for a remarkable and influential actor that is so dearly missed.

Heck, I wouldn't mind watching another Night at the Museum film, but maybe that's just me. Overall, I'd probably give this one a 4 out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment